Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ensenada day 2, & On the Road Again...

 We had just a few thing to do today, before leaving for Turtle Bay (approx 275 miles) We needed to baton everything down again, then head into town for just a couple of things.  One, we wanted to try to find some sort of wifi hot spot connector, for our USB internet.  We both have a Nook, and want to be able to download books while we’re gone, so that was stop number one.  Unfortunately, they didn’t have the connecter piece, but, we did learn, however, that we can get a wifi hotspot internet thru a different company than TelCel, which is the main cellular/internet company out here.  The other company, which seems to be brand new is called Moviestar, and although they do have the hotspot device we’re looking for, and you get more G’s per month, they don’t seem to have as much coverage.  We’re going to wait until we get to La Paz, before we make the switch, to be sure, they cover that area.

TelCel, banda ancha, is what you need to get internet here in Mexico, and it runs you around $37.95 per month or per 3G, whichever comes first.  Moviestar, the other company, is 4G per month, and runs you around $39.95 per month. So, definitely worth the switch, if it works out that their coverage is as good as TelCel.  And since it’s only “pay as you go” for us gringos…lol….it doesn’t cost anything to switch.

Next, we went to the local fish market, which is always fun.  We picked up a couple filets of halibut, and tilapia, then picked up a kilo (2.5 lbs.) of jumbo shrimp…all for the lovely price of $170.00 pesos!  (that’s $13.78 in American dollars!)   Not bad for being on a tight budget huh?  So, with fish/shrimp in hand we made our way back to the docks, to get ready to get back out on the seas, and make fish tacos on the barbi! 

Unfortunately, fate had another plan for me…SEASICK, SEASICK, SEASICK!!!!  Ugh!  The worst I’ve ever had.  It started out so well too, we got underway around 12:30 in the afternoon, and we had some nice wind, which made for kind of rough seas. I was doing pretty well actually, for the first couple of hours, but then by around 3:00, I noticed I was started to get “that old familiar feeling”…lol…and next thing you know…by 3:30, I was in bed, totally USELESS to my poor husband!  He was such a sweetie though, and told me not to worry about it, that it was normal for the first time being “out there”  I pretty much stayed in bed most of the day, after that, so…NO FISH TACOS for us L  I was finally able to take a watch at 11:30 pm, and stayed up until 4 am, so Neil could sleep.  I also, was finally able to eat a little something, which seemed to help quite a bit.  The stars were soooo bright, and there were millions of them.  I couldn’t believe how clear the night was?  I saw, at least, 12 shooting stars, and 1 really cool meteor looking thing.  It was a bright orange ball, with a tail, then as it entered our atmosphere, it disintegrated.  It was really beautiful.  We also, got to see several whales yesterday, (when I was able to get up for a few minutes) they were off the bow, and the port bow side of us, maybe around 200 yards away.  They were swimming, and spouting all over the place.  I got a video, and hopefully I can figure out how to put it on here…that is my goal.  That’s pretty much it for our exciting first real “sea day.” We plan to make it to Turtle Bay around Sunday, sometime.  Have a great day everyone! 



1 comment:

  1. I remember the time we all went to this fish market. Mmmm...that was a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete