Thursday, November 10, 2011

Back in School!

Tues. - Thurs. Nov 8-10, 2011

For the past three days, I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer at the local Elementary school.  I had mentioned a few days back, that I would love to volunteer at the schools, especially in the area of special education, as that was my specialty back in the states. Isabel mentioned that there is not really much of a special education program here.  The teachers were feeling a little frustrated, because though the special ed. teachers have training for things like kids with learning disabilities, or downs syndrome, etc, they didn’t have anything at all in place for kids with behavioral issues.  Voila!!  This was music to my ears, because this was something I happen to have a lot of experience with.  I don’t know if it was just coincidence that the help they need, just happens to be the one thing I used to be pretty good at??...but, something in the universe was working right…lol.  I worked for many years back in the states, in the “behavioral disorder” area, of special education, before I became a chef. This was something I definitely felt I had the confidence to help them with, and was looking forward to meeting Professor Filipe, the Elementary Special Ed Instructor.  Tuesday, I met with Filipe, and with the help of Isabel and her translation talents, I was able to teach Filipe about a behavior modification plan that I’d had a lot of success with in the classroom. We got right to work, and Professor Filipe was so excited to have something that may be useful in helping these kids.  It’s a lot of work though, and required my coming back on Wednesday and Thursday to finish up the details.  We had a lot of fun.  The community here, is so wonderful, and they are so appreciative.  I don’t know who learned more though, these past few days…them or me?  They have been taking the time to teach me their language, and really going out of their way to do so, and I really, really appreciate it, and I’m having so much FUN!!
Tuesday, Nov 8. First meeting with Professor Filipe

Wed. Nov 9, first day of putting the plan down on paper. Beatriz, is Filipe's assistant (shown left)


Beatriz putting the prototype together for the board

Thurs. Nov 10. Meeting with the other teachers, and the Principal to present the program

Luckily the plan was a success, and they plan to impliment it by Monday!

 Neil is having fun too, by the way…LOL!! 

Neil says to say, don’t worry about him.  While I’ve been working, he’s been checking out all the local Taco Stands, ha ha! We have actually been spending so much time with Russell and Isabel, their hospitality simply astounds us!  They are amazing people, and have quickly become dear friends.  Thursday, (today) Isabel and her sister Shina, took me over to their mama’s house, after our school day, and taught me to make “real Mexican tortillas”  (not the ones in the United States, that are dry and “no bueno” they said)  They taught very well, although I don’t know how good of a student I was, because I needed to use the little tortilla press, and they didn’t need to…they said I will get better if I just practice.  I had to laugh, because usually I’m pretty darn good in the kitchen, but I was a little clumsy with those tortillas.  Shina said “tu examine manana!” (Tomorrow your examination!)  So, I guess I will have a tortilla making exam tomorrow morning, too much fun!

It's harder than it looks...I promise!


Cheesy grin....ugh!

Neil had some success today with our engine, I’m happy to report.  He was able to get the engine running, and it stayed running, and sounded really good.  He said we definitely still need a filter, but after cleaning the one we had, in town yesterday, he was sure that’s what it was now.  So, as luck would have it, today while he was waiting for me at the school, a man named Simon came looking for Neil.  He was sent by another man that was in town, and said to Neil that he also had a hunter with a yanmar engine, and he had an extra filter.  So, Neil was able to finally put in a good filter.  We are still going to wait until Tuesday to leave though, as we’re going to wait for the filters we ordered from Isabel’s sister to get here, and there is a storm that is coming our way.  It should be gone by Monday, and then Neil and I can install the exhaust hose, then be on our way on Tuesday morning.  We are looking forward to seeing what else is out there, but It will be hard to say goodbye to the many people we’ve met, and have come to love.  

1 comment:

  1. That sounds just like you to come into a small town and begin saving the world, one child at a time.
    I'm happy you are having and creating these opportunities and experiences for you and for these people.

    Love ya.... thinking of you on your Birthday.

    ReplyDelete